Running Buddies

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

A Mile in Daddy's Shoes

Now that you know about daddy and his battle with colon cancer (original post here) I can confess some of my random thoughts. Like - Would I fight as gracefully and bravely as he is? Would others find me an inspiration like I do him? Do I even want to know? The answer is I don’t know.
What I do know is that I don’t want to have to battle colon cancer one day, I don’t want HIM to have to battle colon cancer now and I don’t want ANYONE to have to battle colon cancer ever. I so I pray. I pray for daddy, mama, our family, the doctors, the drugs, a cure. I pray that no one has to know the helplessness that comes from watching a loved one fight a battle you cannot do anything about. And I run. I run for peace of mind. I run for a cure. I run for daddy.

As I was lacing up this morning to work on week one of the Nike Training I thought about ”wearing” daddy’s shoes when I was a kid and shuffling around in shoes that were too big for me. I can’t wear daddy’s shoes now either. I can’t fight for him, I can’t cure his cancer. But I can train and each time I think of giving up or calling it good enough I can think of daddy and how he battles every day, every moment and I can go on. Step by step, mile by mile until there’s a cure and no one else’s daddy has to battle an insidious disease like colon cancer.

I am forever grateful to Stephanie at Metropolitan Mama for her How to Train for a 5K post. On it I found great advice on training, shoes and such. I also rediscovered my love for running. While I’m nowhere near the in the same shape I was in as a teenager I still love it. I can’t run as far or as long as I used to but I’m getting there one step at a time. And we’re getting closer to a cure one step, one dollar at a time. Won’t you join me in the race?

Blessings,
Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love hearing from our readers. Go ahead - make our day!